Re: Screensavers in FC3

I vote for turning just blanking the screen and turning on "Display Power Management" on video/monitor combinations that support it. Blanking the screen will save the screen much more that any of the screen savers. If people want to run screen savers for eye candy, fine. However, for most situations it seems like the screen savers are just a waste. Who is looking at the screen when they are sleeping? Also who wants the screen saver to kick in and use the CPU when they are doing a large build, e.g. GCC bootstrap?

I find myself always setting screen saver preferences for blanking the screen and "Display Power management". There are financial incentives for using the power management:

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_pm_home_office

-Will

Steven Garrity wrote:
There was some talk a few months back about trimming down the screensavers in Fedora Core to a more sane number.

First, there was the issue of 3D screensavers bogging down machines that couldn't handle them: https://listman.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2003-December/msg00088.html

Then, I floated a proposal to pare down the included screensavers: https://listman.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2004-February/msg00002.html

Then, Bill Nottingham had my favourite proposal yet for the screensavers: https://listman.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2004-February/msg00006.html

Bill Nottingham <notting redhat com> wrote: > > xscreensaver - blank only, core > xscreensaver-extras - everything else > > Simple, clean, avoids flamewars. >

Has there been any progress on this? Is it too late to do something for FC3?

Thanks,
Steven Garrity