Re: FC2: gnome-terminal takes much longer to startup than Mozilla

Jason Tackaberry wrote:
On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 09:16 -0400, Will Cohen wrote:

I wanted to see the number of major and minor page faults. Using "time" uses the shell's builtin time which doesn't return that information. Need to have the explicit path in there to avoid using the shell's builtin.

It's funny how you can use *nix for years and years and still pick up
little bits like that one, which seem like conventional wisdom.

It's also funny how you can use *nix for years and years, and think you
know what you're talking about enough to second guess someone
@redhat.com, and then promptly get put in your place. :)

Funny, I learned about passing xterm a command to execute from your email. :)

Sheepishly,
Jason.

Seriously, your email was fine. I am sure there will be things that people will need to correct me on, and I did learn something from the email.

Remember the our goal is to improve the performance of the Linux Desktop, not to be correct every single time.

-Will

PS I learned today that gnome actually uses gnome-terminal rather than xterm.