Re: Desktop issues discussion proposal

Havoc Pennington escribió:

One suggestion from Seth is to have a "UNIX" comps group, containing all the GUI stuff that traditional UNIX users expect that would not be interesting to our desktop users.

That would be PERFECT!
I'm starting to get uncomfortable with the idea of losing choice, really. I mean, GNU/Linux has always been about choice. We shouldn't lose that. We shouldn't forget that Fedora is GNU/Linux. We shouldn't forget the contributors, the developers, the skilled people who like their old-not-so-friendly-apps, and doesn't care about the eye-candy and are BIG friends of the CLI.
I know that we should bring Linux to a bigger audience, one which is not accustomed to that, but in doing so we CAN'T and SHOULDN'T forget the old *NIX friends!!!
So we have to come up with clever ideas to hide the complexity to the desktop users, keeping a not-so-difficult path for the others.
If I ended up downloading 4 CD ISOs to find that the (popular GNU/Linux) tools I need aren't included, and I had to go to a thousand of extras and unofficial repositories to download my RPMs, or even started to download tar balls... then we are taking wrong decisions.

--
Mariano