Re: 3D screensavers - separate package

seth vidal wrote:

No, for various reasons, including:

- there's no good way to key packages as 'install this if you
 have hardware 3d support'
- the 2d screensavers can (and do) chew just as much CPU as the 3d
 ones

Patches that allow switching automatically to the blank screensaver
in the case of running on battery, etc. would certainly be considered;
you'd probably want to hook into the dbus event framework for getting
power events from the kernel in the future.

I'd encourage the screensavers to be packaged as:

xscreensaver-blank
allotherscreensavers.

I abhor ALL screensavers as they frequently cause lockups on odd video
cards. I'd love to remove all the 'fun' ones and just have
screenblank+lock in xscreensaver.

Do you think that would be permissable? Still have all the fun ones
default to installed but be removable.

It would be nice to include a basic no-frills, low-cpu usage "Fedora" screensaver (just pop up the Fedora logo in random places for a short while) and the blank one, as well as a few of the nicer ones... then toss the rest in an extras package.

We could default to the Fedora-branded screensaver (it would simply use a PNG so that the image could be easily swapped out).

Of course, this is just my personal $0.02, so take that into account. (:

Garrett