Re: FC2-3 RPM Package Managers

Athanasios Anastasiou wrote:

Hi All

The question i am about to ask might have come up probably but it is the reason i subscribed to this list and i am going to ask anyway :-)

Is there an RPM package manager for Fedora (Core 2 and Core 3) that can handle the installation of one isolated RPM (and ofcourse report back dependencies etc etc)???

I think this is what you're looking for:
http://smartpm.org/

I currently have Fedora Core 2 but i am about to switch to Fedora Core 3, i use it mainly for developing and some minor office applications...A GUI for RPM would really save me some of the trouble.

Here you are:
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gyum/2.0

I was reading about Fedora Core 2 and found out that there is yum and apt as package managers...Is that true for Fedora Core 2?

I'm assuming you meant if it's true about FC3. The answer is yes, I am however unsure if apt is available by default install.

I noticed that the native RPM package manager has changed between FC2 and FC3, can it handle isolated RPM installs?

I don't understand the above question

Currently, in my FC2, RPMs are not handled "automatically", meaning that if i double click on an RPM, KDE does not know how to handle it. If i install yum or apt from the RPMs is that taken care automatically or do i have to add it?

If you install from yum or apt there's no clicking to be done (unless you use a GUI to do it). The KDE behaviour you mentioned can be configured AFAIK

Since my installation is stable (for the time) i am a bit hessitant to experiment a lot with installer packages or a variety of options, so if you decide to answer any of my questions please be specific about dependencies or things that might go wrong (for any case that you are aware anyway)

I've found that so far yum has handled all my dependencies.

Thanks in advance.
Athanasios Anastasiou.