crazy ideas for yum/pup/that_damned_applet

So Paul ping'd me today and had an idea: what if yum had dbus knowledge
so that when it found out about an update it could signal the applet to
start throbbing and being annoying.

I said. "umm, dbus IN yum?, umm, erg, <shudder>" things like that.

Then we talked some more and realized that:
 1. we don't need to put it in yum
 2. we might need to do something else that's kinda special.

up2date has that rhnsd that runs to poll rhn and find out about updates
and other things to do. This is all cool and things but it's really only
useful to up2date on RHEL. So what if yum/pup/etc had a daemon that
could, optionally, update the metadata information from the repositories
and announce a dbus event to the system?

rhnsd is a C daemon that runs rhn_check which is a python program. It
wouldn't be too much work to do the same for something in yum. We could
write a metadata_check script that uses the yum python module and wraps
a different callback around the metadata caching routines. once the
metadata is updated, if updates exists it pushes out a dbus event for
each update to alert anything listening that there are updates.

This way yum doesn't have to know anything about dbus and everyone is
happy.

So is this something that would be interesting for fedora?

What do folks think? What other items could benefit from dbus
notification that an update is present?

-sv