Asrock K7S41GX onboard sound controller failure

I have built several Fedora Core 3 Linux systems for friends of mine,
using the Asrock K7S41GX motherboard.  The onboard SiS (Silicon
Integrated Systems) Sound Controller (module snd-intel8x0) has recently
stopped working.  The first one of these that I looked at, I thought
that I had a bad motherboard.

I installed a new motherboard, without success.  I re-installed Fedora
Core 3 (03-Nov-2004), and the Sound Controller started working again.

After using the up2date utility to bring the system up to date, the
Sound Controller has stopped working again.  I can only conclude that
one of the updates is causing the Sound Controller to stop working.

My customers (who are all personal friends of mine) are all about to
throw in the towel and go back to Microschlock's Windoze.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance,

Art Johnson