system-config-printers trouble

Hi,

For Linux support at the Technical University of Eindhoven we create .rpm's for the printers. These .rpm's copied the correct .ppd to /usr/share/cups/model en then call lpadmin with the correct parameters.
The problem is that the parsing of printers.conf by printconf does not work correctly: the device URL is wrongly interpreted. After clicking 'apply' in printconf, the printerconfiguration is totally useless.
I saw that I can use printconf to add printers, but I have to specify a lot of ppd options, which I can't add via printconf.
Now I was wondering, what is the recommended way of adding printers from a script?
And is there any chance that system-config-printers is going to support CUPS in a rationalized way? IE, communicating with the deamon instead of keeping it's own configuartion which doesn't integrate with the rest of the system.

Thanks in advance,

Remco Poelstra