Re: system-config-schedule has been moved to gnome-schedule

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 23:06 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> > [ CUT ]

> Excellent, this sounds like great news.  I wish that we would have been
> able to do more from the Fedora side, but as Brad said, we don't yet
> have all the pieces in place for more CVS infrastructure to be generally
> available.

Okay, perhaps RedHat could set up a sourceforge(-like) service for
people (like me and Gaute Hope) to make contributions in a managed way.

> At the same time, having it in GNOME CVS doesn't at all preclude its
> inclusion in Fedora and I (personally) am still interested in making
> that happen.  Just a matter of 'round 'tuits.

Of course. Our intentions are not to get this tool as incompatible with
Fedora as possible. In contrary, we are planning to get the buildscripts
correct in a way that it will still deploy a 'system-config-schedule'
commandline on a Fedora. We will probably put this deployment in the
spec file or detect the distribution at the buildscripts (but I think
the spec file is a better location for this, or a patch that is applied
by the RPM tool and defined in the spec file).

RedHat is of course allowed to fork this GPL tool to get it working on
Fedora, in case we develop this Fedora support not fast enough :p. But
we propose working on this together. Rather than starting forks of this
little tool :-).

> As far as your schedule is concerned, the one quick opinion I have on
> the subject is that it might make more sense to go ahead and get a
> release out with just the cron support with the intent of adding the at
> support in the second release.  That'll get something out earlier that
> people can use.  And if the second release is shortly thereafter, that's
> not a bad thing either.

Those where or intentions, yes. But it's possible Gaute will finish this
support pretty fast. The current code has been developed with support
for 'at' in mind. And Gaute got some sample 'at' code working just
before I started turning the project upside down ;-). I guess he can now
start reusing those experiments.

> [ CUT ]

> PS Sorry about the lag time on responding to this stuff, I just had some
> things to deal with outside of work/Fedora last week and then have spent
> a lot of this week catching up.

Okay

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos