Re: Call for Yum Frontend

Sean Earp wrote:

SuSE just (or is in the process of) GPL'ing it's YAST tool (which combines the basic functions of Anaconda, system-config-packages, and up2date/yum)

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5175682.html?tag=nefd_top

(donning flame suite now...)

-Sean ;)

"And Red Hat is happy with its own management software. "We've been shipping and fine-tuning our tools for configuration and management for some years now," company spokeswoman Leigh Day said." :-X

I actually think this is a great idea. Why not use the available resources that are out there? Why reinvent the wheel? Of course we don't need all of YAST, just the program manager part.

Seth Vidal wrote:

There are people who are red hat developers and people who are not red
hat devs who are working on parts to make this happen. I know some red
hat developers are very interested in making this work.

It's not an overnight project, but it is something I'd love to see be
available in at least an early-version by FC3.

Where is development of this taking place? Is there anyway to contribute? Perhaps discuss the usage of parts of YAST?

--
Jason Knight
Fedora Core 2 Test 3 *x86_64*