From: Sean Middleditch [mailto:elanthis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 8:57 AM
To: Hull, John
Subject: nvidia x settings

I read your post to fedora-config-list, but I'm not subscribed (I read from
web archives) so I'm responding directly; feel free to forward/CC any
replies to the list if you want feedback from the others there.

Newer versions of the NVIDIA driver come with an nvidia-settings application
for controlling the settings.

So far as extending system-config-xfree86 (what was
redhat-config-xfree86) I really, really suggest you break the
vendor-specific options into an external file (perhaps some kind of XML
file) instead of hard-coding stuff into the tool, because hard-coding stuff
is evil; evil like feeding babies to alligators kind of evil.

File could look something like (note: I don't know the actual options
off-hand, so they are likely wrong):

<system-config-xfree86>
  <driver match="nvidia">
    <option name="NVAgp">
      <doc>Configure AGP method.</doc>
      <value type="enum">
        <enum value="0">Autodetect</enum>
        <enum value="1">NVIDIA AGP</enum>
        <enum value="2">Linux AGP</enum>
      </value>
    <option>
    <option name="ConnectedMonitor">
      <doc>Explicitly set the type of monitor attached as the primary
display.</doc>
      <value type="enum">
        <enum value="">Autodetect</enum>
        <enum value="DFP">Digital Flat Panel</enum>
        <enum value="TV">TV Out</enum>
      </value>
    </option>
  </driver>
</system-config-xfree86>

That way, the system could be used for even the Open Source drivers with
custom options that aren't currently supported, XML localization techniques
can be used to translate the options to other languages, NVIDIA could even
ship updated file if they are ubiquitous enough,
etc.
--
Sean Middleditch <elanthis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.