Re: [Fedora-config-list] kickstart configuration

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 13:33, seth vidal wrote:
> Would there be even the remotest possibility of ditching the arbitrary
> file format the ks.cfg and moving over to an xml-format. Then the
> configuration tools for generating the ks.cfg wouldn't have to be
> post-processed and since anaconda already needs the xml parser for
> comps, it could be a simpler structure.

To give something of an authoritative reply...

It's been discussed a few times.  I'm not entirely against the idea, but
there's a major problem of a huge install base of kickstart configs and
no real easy way to migrate them.  The fact that the current "language"
(and I use the term loosely :-) isn't overly well defined makes it hard
to transition things automatically.

Then, there's also the problem of the kickstart config needing to be
parsed, at least minimally, by the loader which has to stay really small
-- adding an XML parser there is likely to be ugly and have significant
space impact.

Not to mention the already huge pile of stuff that falls into the "more
important" category -- things like actually working with 2.6 and getting
to where there's more flexibility with LVM, especially when working with
preexisting LVM devices.

So, yeah... it might be nice someday in a rosy colored future :-)

Cheers,

Jeremy