Re: [Fedora-config-list] Moving TradeMark thread to fedora-config.

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 13:14, seth vidal wrote:
> > As far as the trademarks go, Yellow Dog ships with all the
> > redhat-config-* tools and I don't think that trademarks have ever been
> > a problem.
>
> I'd really want a confirmed answer on this one. Just b/c something
> "hasn't been a problem" doesn't mean it won't become a problem.

I've sent an email to the legal department for some clarification.

> > Just dropping the 'redhat' won't work because not all of the tools
> > have '-config-' in the name such as redhat-logviewer and
> > redhat-install-packages.  Just replacing 'redhat' with 'fedora'
> > doesn't really make sense if these tools are going to be used in RHEL
> > and other distros like Yellow Dog.  Just using 'rhc-*' still seems to
> > carry a Red Hat connotation.
> >
> > I'd like to know what others think about this...
>
> I'm not sure what tack to take. I can definitely understand red hat (the
> company) desire to advertise who wrote the program in the program name.
>
> I also understand that widespread use of these programs in other
> distributions or even operating systems will be limited by their name.
> It might not be rational or reasonable but a lot of people will be
> resistant to using redhat-config-foo on debian or novell linux. Do you
> think logrotate or chkconfig would have made it into debian if they were
> redhat-rotate-logs and redhat-config-startup? For that matter would have
> alternatives made it into red hat if it had been debian-alternatives?
>
> I'm not certain it would have.  Why don't the redhat-config-foo packages
> get names like anaconda or chkconfig or logrotate, with just symlinks in
> the packages to the binary names:
>
> so then you could have fedora-config-foo for the tab-completing lookup
> and for general user issues - but have that come as
> foostuff-1.1-1.noarch.rpm :)
>
> maybe that doesn't work, maybe it does.

>From my perspective, I really like having the common namespace for the
RPMS themselves.  When I'm building packages, it's much quicker to throw
redhat-config* at the build system than ten individual package names.

What about fc-config-*?  The 'fc' stands for Fedora Core, but maybe it's
generic enough for other distros to adopt if they want to?

On the other hand, maybe 'fedora-config' could work for other distros
because "Fedora" is the name of the Fedora project, whereas "Fedora
Core" is just the name of the distribution part of Fedora.  Having
'fedora-config' would simply imply that this tool was created as part of
the Fedora project.

Opinions?

Cheers,
   Brent