Fedora Wallpaper 36

Hey everyone!

Fedora 35 is getting ready to be packaged and released but it's time to start Fedora Wallpaper 36!

Each release we increment a letter of the alphabet and look to highlight a scientist, inventor, or engineer whose name begins with that letter and use their work as inspiration for the visual concept of the wallpaper.

For example, F33’s inspiration was Walter Lincoln Hawkins, a polymer chemist and the wallpaper embedded the concept of connecting the world since his invention of plastic sheathing helped give rural access to the telephone.

For F36, the letter is K. The first part of this process is as a team we vote on which of a few K figures we find most inspirational / the best possibility for cool visuals for the F36 wallpaper. I propose the list below. I will make sure to attach the poll below for voting purposes.

--

1. Jack Kilby - Jack St. Clair Kilby was a Nobel award-winning American electrical engineer, his greatest achievement was the creation of the first working integrated circuit while working at Texas Instruments in the 1950s.

The visuals here could be either very direct, inspired by the diodes, microprocessors, and transistors of the circuit, or more abstract. The lines and squares could start to turn into an overhead view of the city/world that’s been affected by the integrated circuit

--

2. Stephanie Kwolek – Kevlar - An American chemist discovered this material, which is five times stronger than steel, is used in bicycle tires, racing sails, body armor, frying pans, armored cars. She discovered the first of a family of synthetic fibers of exceptional strength and stiffness: poly-paraphenylene terephthalamide.

Visual concepts could include the molecular makeup of kevlar, fluidity of fibers as well as the rigidity and strength of the material.

--

3. Deepika Kurup - is an inventor, scientist, and clean water advocate. Kurup's initial idea that won her the Discovery Education 3M Young Scientist in 2012 is based on using a photocatalytic compound for water purification.

In 2015 she developed a pervious photocatalytic composite using sand, TiO2, Portland cement and silver nitrate. This photocatalytic pervious composite showed 98% reduction in total coliform bacteria immediately after filtration. Exposure of the filtered water to sunlight with a photocatalytic composite disc resulted in 100% inactivation of total coliform bacteria.

I think this one has a lot of different paths we could go in! Playing around with whether we wanted a landscape that emphasized the sun and water like Fedora 34, or if we wanted to symbolize bacteria in a way with the water in a gradient effect going from dirty to clean.

--

4. Robert Kahn - Robert Kahn was an electrical engineer from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. When the company DARPA ran out of funding, he and a computer scientist from Stanford named Vint Cerf collaborated on the principle of the interconnection of heterogeneous computer networks. They called it the TCP (transmission control protocol) which originally included the IP (Internet Protocol). After the U.S. Department of Defense adopted it in 1980, the TCP/IP became the standard Internet communication protocol we still use today.

I don't have many ideas for visuals off the top of my head but right now while we all work with the internet mostly from home its really important so I'm sure we could come up with something.

Keep an eye out for an email regarding the poll. We’re currently trying to set it up with LimeSurvey but this way you can do whatever research you’d like and figure out who to vote for in the meantime before its up and running!

--
Madeline Peck
she / her / hers