Re: Considering a logo refresh

Hey gnokii!

So the parts where we have issues that still exist:

- It is a very common confusion between the Fedora logo and the Facebook logo. I see it in working with high school and college students, I get it from comments about my laptop stickers and T-shirts - a white lower case f on a medium blue background is unfortunately hard for us to own when a company with a reach of billions of daily users is our competition.

- the speech bubble. it's lopsided. it's hard to center. It's hard to fit into shapes. E.g. how do you fit the speech bubble on a hex sticker and have it look good - this was a recent challenge Micah worked on. Someone upstream in the hex sticker repo "helpfully" pushed a Fedora hex design that stripped the bubble from the logo entirely, against our usage guidelines - Micah caught it and is now working on convincing upstream to adopt one that adheres to our guidelines.

- there is no possible way to make the logomark one color. from simple things like one-color printing, to other things like providing one color icons and logos for conference websites and icon systems... it's a very annoying issue that comes up all the time.

- Printing the logo on darker backgrounds - people don't always go through our team, you know this well :) We end up with swag and other items all over the place that are against our logo guidelines, e.g., with thick white outlines along the logo that make it look weird so it stands out on a background that the blue color doesn't contrast well with. :(

- Because the logo has a number of challenging oddities that come up as you try to work with it, as you are well aware of :) it gets a lot of abuse / misuse so it requires a lot more hand-holding by our team even though we're not really resourced (as one of the teams in Fedora that is really 80% or more volunteer) to provide such a high touch level of support. A logo that was more straightforward to work with would - I hope - decrease the amount of design team handholding necessary for it to be reproduced correctly / require less specialized skills.

- For all these years it does kill me that the logo uses Bryant2, a proprietary font. A logo is so central to a brand, it's sort of the soul of a thing - and even though open source is a premier aspect of our identity, the very thing that expresses our identity showcases a font that is not, was created in Illustrator, was not created via an open community process, etc. etc. etc. It doesn't serve as an example that the open source collaborative way is the right way to do things.

I get what you're saying about the logos for the editions being different now. They used to be integrated into a system. I don't know the background of the Silverblue logo, but it does not follow our edition logo guidelines and unfortunately we weren't consulted about it (it is a beautiful logo, it's just a missed oppty.)  I think at this point it is probably too late to change it because of the investment. It means though, since silverblue is IMHO the most critical edition for Fedora's future, that we'll have to deal with it, embrace it, and come up with yet another system for editions that is less tight than the cloud/atomic | server | workstation system we've had in the past couple of years or so. It's ok. As it was, the edition names were fairly generic ("server" "workstation" etc), Silverblue is a nice standalone name that identifies what it is and gives a bit more vibrancy to our 'portfolio.'

I would *strongly* push for logo changes that are honestly just an iteration of what we have, and would still recognizably look like Fedora. I would NOT support a clean slate, from scratch logo design process. You are very correct in that we have well-established branding. I want a refreshed logo that someone would look at and say, "Oh, it looks like Fedora cleaned up their logo, cool" not "What the heck is that? That doesn't look like Fedora? Is that a hat company?" Etc.

I played around with some ideas along these lines to show what I mean. When Matthew files the ticket I'll post them to it.

Does this make sense?

Cheers,
~m