Re: Flock and design tasks

Hi,

On 06/13/2018 08:33 AM, Brian (bex) Exelbierd wrote:
I talked to Matthew yesterday about the artwork.  We want to continue to put the focus on the Fedora brand, Since Flock is an internally focused conference, it doesn't need fancy external branding work.  We wonder if we the design team could focus on a logo and concept that could become a standard design to be used from year to year.  This design could feature an optionally changing element, for example (and not restricted to) a line art city-theme that changes in the background of the logo.

Absolutely. This was the exact approach we took with FUDcons. We can easily produce a lockup Flock logo template where the city name can be filled in and the logo generated. (The idea for that came from how regional barcamp logos work.)

Given installation of the correct fonts, this could even be scripted.

This, it seems would allow us to create a set of design tasks that would be good easyfix/first tasks each year (i.e. update the Flock logo with a new number), and opportunity for creativity when the team has the capacity for it (add the line-art like thing), and reduce the amount of effort that needs to be put in each year to produce all of the various collateral.

+9999

This would seem to translate into set designs (with, ideally simple mandatory updates and some optional creativity updates) for:

- A logo/masthead for printed/pdf'ed documents
- A website/magazine banner header
- Blog/tweet promo banners
- "attended" fedora badge

Effort can be focused each year on the:
- "party" fedora badge
- T-shirt, if we have one
- any extras, if needed

A special note about T-shirts.  We would like to make Fedora the prominent brand on the t-shirt, possibly even not mentioning Flock at all.  The goal here is to give our contributors a shirt to wear that starts a conversation about Fedora first, and not a "What is Flock?" conversation.  If we have sponsors who will be on the shirt, we would consider producing a second t-shirt that is a Fedora-branded and themed Flock shirt with sponsors.  This gets around the issue that many people have raised about not wanting to wear a sponsor branded shirt.

I love the idea of focusing on a shirt that is Fedora first and could even be used in other contexts.

If there are folks who don't want to wear a sponsor-branded shirt - I would argue that we shouldn't be creating the shirts, it seems wasteful to me. Do sponsors insist on being present on the shirt specifically, or could other equivalent kinds of exposure be offered instead - on any printed program / schedule materials, an article in Fedora Magazine or the Community Blog featuring the sponsor, etc? Could we be more creative about their logos' placement?

Right now, we have budgeted for the Fedora t-shirt mentioned.  We currently do not have sponsors requesting a t-shirt printing.

How can we help make this happen?  Would me opening design tickets help?

Opening tickets would definitely be helpful. This is what I'm seeing in terms of needed tickets, highlighting info that we need:

Design Team
https://pagure.io/design/issues
-------------------------------

1 - T-shirt ticket: how fancy do you want to go, minimal colors or something brighter and colorful; what base color of shirt fabric are you thinking; just a front design or a back design too? Beyond "Flock: Dresden" what should it say or have? Also - since it's Fedora first, we have pre-existing Fedora shirt designs we could just use off-the-shelf if there are any of interest.

2. Logo/masthead for printed/PDF documents: some context for what documents you're anticipating (a printed program/schedule? a visa invitation letter? something else?) What format(s) the design should be in. Any relevant specs (I'm assuming A4? For typical office printing with no full bleed?)

3. Website/magazine banner header - I do already have a ticket for Magazine / Community blog - https://pagure.io/design/issue/599 so this is set.

4. Blog/tweet promo banners - this isn't my expertise in terms of the standards for these - is there anyone twitter / social savvy who knows the right dimensions / specs for how these are typically done?

5. Anything else needed in the extras category

Badges
https://pagure.io/fedora-badges/issues

1. party badge

2. attended badge