Re: Supplemental Wallpapers

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 6:32 AM,  <buergermeister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well time for me to answer this. There are two reasons why there isnt a
> Supplemental Wallpaper for F27. First Mo already mentioned, I did live for
> several months just with net from the phone. So actually for the F26
> Supplemental Wallpaper I save the traffic of one week to use it just for the
> download of the submissions for the legal tests. So on the end half the
> months traffic just for it. And I could not afford to top up more for it.
>
> Well, my net problems are right now solved as I have a landline, which is
> stable to use.
>
> Its not funny for me to read in some tickets comments from people, doing
> this job is just hitting a button. Its not, its heavily time consuming. I
> spent each release around 400 working hours for it. Most of the time is
> spent with the legal checks, which has to be done manually and that means
> down- and upload the submissions, oh yeah the engines like tineye have an
> API but unfortuantely no such service is free of charge. So you have to do
> it manually. Same is for the awarding of the badges, except the voting one,
> they are done manually. So more work.
>
> So looking back to the what did happen around the wallpaper of F26 and
> accusations made by a person not just here in the design team as well in
> public meetings which did lead to a council ticket where I was insulted
> again as the person was not enforced to give an excuse for his accusations
> as more I was punished by advised to stay away from IRC for a while. So with
> other words, they council did tell me that way his accusations are right.
>
> With such insultations I did feel not very motivated to run the wallpaper
> for F27 again, especially the cycle was very short, have a look
> https://fedorapeople.org/groups/schedule/f-27/f-27-design-tasks.html
>
> The point is the process starts before the version before it gets released,
> with going through the dates and setting them up in Nuancier. Its not just
> simple say, oh thats the date and this not. For making it successful there
> is a minimal running time for it, some folks need some time to recognize it.
> So submission phases under 6 weeks make no sense, same for the voting. We
> tried on the begin to make the period short just a week but a lot of people
> complained about it, so you need at least 2 weeks for it. In addition you
> have to give Luya some time for packaging them. So far he does a very good
> job and finishes the package very fast, but at least a week you have to give
> him to.
>
> So it was quiet short to do this time.
>
> And it looks, it will be standard for the future to have shorter cycles,
> that might be fine on the "technical" side but for things like this its
> contra-productive. Currently I thinking on a way how to do it in a different
> way, so that we still can have it. My current idea is to run it just yearly
> for several releases, but there will be some changes for Nuancier needed
> [...]

Thanks gnokii for the frank explanation of the situation. As you have
pointed to scheduling as one of the reason for not having the F27
supplemental wallpapers, may I ask you please, to come up with your
proposal what the scheduling should look like ? How much time you need
for each phase of the process and when, relative to branching or Beta
release, these phases needs to be in time ? It helps me to do a better
job the next time, if possible.

Jan

> So that just to give some information.
>
> For the link, yes its nearly the actual process just some minor things are
> missing, like make the badges tickets, which have to be created before, but
> its pretty much it.
>
> br gnokii
>

> Am 24.10.2017 um 05:19 schrieb charles profitt:
>
> On Mon, 2017-10-23 at 08:04 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>
> Hi Charles!
>
> On 10/22/2017 03:07 PM, charles profitt wrote:
>
> I noticed that there has not been a call for supplemental
> wallpapers
> for F27. I did not know if this was by design or due to no one
> being
> available to take care of the process.
>
> If it is the latter, I would be willing to take on the process if
> someone is able to teach me what is required.
>
> Traditionally, gnokii runs this process but he has poor internet as
> of late making it rather challenging.
>
> It's too late for F27, but if you'd like to manage the process for
> F28, you are more than welcome.
>
> I am sure gnokii has a lot of advice & guidance - we do have a HOWTO
> on managing the process, but I don't know if it's up-to-date with
> gnokii's
> method:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_manage_the_supplemental_wallpape
> r_process
>
> Cheers,
> ~m
>
> I will take a look at the process. In the next few days. I will reach
> out to gnokii if I have any questions. I was most nervous about how to
> setup nuancier to accept submissions and then not sure how the winners
> were packaged. I have zero packaging experience.
>
> Thanks for the link.
>
> Charles

Jan Kuřík
Platform & Fedora Program Manager
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic