Re: Hi all, this is Matthew Whittle

On 10/17/2012 04:35 AM, Matt Whittle wrote:
If the idea makes organization of windows easier and navigation more
pleasant and it increases productivity, the chance of failure will be
less.  While providing lots of eye candy, the goal of this is to create
a spacial user interface.  Since humans naturally are spacial
(remembering where things are in 3D space) and sorted lists are a little
less natural, designing your own house and walking into the GIMP room is
more relaxing on the brain then hunting for GIMP in a sorted list.  And
then if you need to switch from GIMP to Firefox, you just walk out of
the GIMP room into the firefox room - which is also less taxing on the
brain then locating the firefox window you were on before in the list of
open windows in one of your workspaces.  Also, if it is delivered in
small chunks and each chunk provides something cool, then even if it
eventually fails, a lot of progress is made that you can keep.  What I
mean is, after creating a 3D background we decide against it, well then
at least we got a 3D background out of it.

That's the top failure: if I want to start Firefox, I want it *now*, with a click of the mouse, not walk from room to room and wait. Also, what if I need both GIMP and Firefox at the same time? say I read a GIMP tutorial and want to try it, or I design a web layout and have to edit and see the page at the same time. I am forced to wander around rooms? An OS (well, a desktop system, which is what we are talking about) should be unobtrusive and let the uses get the job done fast and easy.