Re: Fedora GRUB2 boot menu, from design perspective

Hi Kirk,

On 2012-06-20 19:04, Kirk Bridger wrote:
1 - I think data should be collected before we make assumptions about
our user base.

We need to take the user base as defined by the project board as a given:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base

It wasn't determined lightly and it was researched and deliberated and discussed throughout the community pretty carefully.

 2 - I think categorizing is a better solution than hiding, as users
with lots of kernels/OSs are more likely to be switching more often,
vs users with just a few.  The value of reducing clutter is minimized
is clutter consists of 3-5 items, and hiding things makes it harder to
do what you want to do.

Don't forget to consider, along with majority of users vs minority of users, how frequently vs infrequently users will be:

- Switching OSes
- Switching kernels

I believe switching OSes is going to be more frequent for even the Pokemon 'gotta catch 'em all' distro enthusiast than switching kernels within each OS, and the mockup that Martin put together definitely optimizes for switching OSes instead of switching kernels. The only user I know of that realistically switches between specific kernels on any kind of frequent basis is a kernel developer, and I haven't seen any complaints or concerns from kernel developers about the change. That being said, I can certainly reach out to a few and get some feedback from them, but I think they probably - since their menu has so many entries anyway - have highly customized grub conf files anyway so any defaults are likely not to affect them.

 3 - I think removing clutter is a good goal, provided it meets our
users needs (see comment #1)

+99 I'm glad we seem to be all on the same page about this part, we just need to sort out more of the other details.

~m