Re: [Design-team] Use of flags (was Re: Wiki page for country)

I think flags are great, very visual and immediately understandable. As for controversial, you can find dissenting opinions on everything you do if your audience is big enough. We can't cater to *everybody* and the vast majority of flags are actually quite "safe", IMO.

Fab

# Fabian A. Scherschel
# Host & Producer, Sixgun Productions
# Member, Fedora Design Team

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/13/2010 07:56 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Since not all the websites have finished sites or distinctive designs,
> Jef put together a mockup using flags for each country (with the caveat
> it would need to be adjusted so the flags were a bit smaller):
>
> http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/fedoracommunity/fedoracommunity.org.flags.png
>
> I know there's a lot of sensitivity to the usage of national symbols in
> general; is it advisable to avoid the usage of flags or do you think it
> would be okay in this instance?

Hard to say.  It is really dependent on the specific regions in
question.  It is better to confirm with them that the usage of flags is
uncontroversial or desirable

Rahul