Re: [Design-team] [OT] GIMP becoming too profi and thus will be excluded from Ubuntu distro

On 12/02/2009 10:30 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 12/02/2009 06:03 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
>> Out of the box, the Desktop spin offers:
>>
>> - a web browser
>> - a mail/calendar/etc client
>> - a VoIP/video chat program
>> - a media/movie player
>> - a music library player
>> - a word processor
>> - a document viewer
>> - a photo viewr with simple editing
>>
> That's the same level of functionality as Windows OOTB, thanks but no
> thanks (at a second thought, it may be even less than Windows).
>

>> Especially with the move to many web-based services and applications,
>> I find that a far cry from 'does not offer any useful application', even
>> if one particular one you may prefer isn't on there.
>>
> I thought we are here about Free software, which the web-based
> applications are not.

To be fair, Nicu, and me going back to the version I know best....XP,
Windows doesn't really offer a mail/calendar/etc client, voIP/video,
word processor, or much of a photo viewer with simple editing, out of
the box. Not sure where exactly to get Outlook, but it's not there by
default. MS Word and Office in general is one of their real cash cows
and they keep that seperate, video/VoIP you have to go download MSN
Messenger. Regarding a browser, yeah they include IE but really the best
use for that is downloading Firefox, which we offer by default.

--
~Michael
http://michaelbox.net