Re: [Design-team] Constantine

Was wondering if anybody had thoughts about this - I put a bit of workinto it and haven't gotten any feedback yet! :)
If it sucks let me know.
~m
On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 20:09 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:> On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 17:46 -0500, Michael Beckwith wrote:> > Keep in mind everyone that just because the codename is "Constantine" > > doesn't mean that we HAVE to include the guy in the theme somehow. We > > can go off on some inspiration derived from reading about him and > > whatnot and just make sure the tie in is there.> > I found some inspiration in W.B. Yeats' 'Sailing to Byzantium' [1].> There are some interesting themes in there (and even a link to steam...> er.. byzantine-punk). I'll just throw these out there; they may all suck> but crappy ideas can inspire awesome ideas so if they inspire something> in you let's talk about it:> > - Mortality vs Immortality - Byzantine art & culture flourished over> 1000 years (330-1453) and is still known of today - We can relate this> to Fedora - Fedora does not try to only look 'cool' on the surface and> not have much substance underneath; Fedora is very concerned about> quality and doing the right thing. Fedora hopefully is at the forefront> of promoting a culture/philosophy and producing a quality system that> will bring order and the right way forward. A few ideas on representing> this: have a simple & transparent (or not quite drawn-in) subject grow> in complexity & depth and become more opaque maybe. Or go from weak to> saturated colors and/or values. The message would be along the lines of> Fedora's hopeful grasp towards greatness/eternity.> > - The natural/impermanent/imperfect vs. technology/permanent/perfect -> building on the above theme... Yeats makes reference to Byzantine> Emperor Theophilos' singing mechanical golden birds (he also had> mechanical golden lions as well, hmmm... :) ) I feel like themes that> deal with technology vs nature usually pose technology in the 'bad guy'> light and nature in the 'good guy' light, so it might be interesting to> send a message that poses technology (Fedora) as an ally of nature (the> people using Fedora) to make it better (to improve Fedora users' lives).> Visually this could maybe take a steampunk bird form hehe.> > - Order from Chaos - Constantine was known for bringing order to the> chaos of the Roman empire at the time he began rule and Constantinople> seems to have served as a central hub / symbol of that order. Perhaps> Fedora is the Constantinople to the chaos of crappy, proprietary> software. The message would be that open source software is inevitable> and is the way forward to order and progress.> > - Liberation through enlightenment - '... Consume my heart away; sick> with desire... gather me Into the artifice of eternity.' Liberation of> the soul from worldly desires... liberation of the software and more> generally culture from worldly desires...? worldly desires = closed> firmware and patented codecs? hehe> > - Unity/Coming together to make something great - and could quite easily> be communicated with the golden mosaic designs already being discussed -> alone one tile is nothing special, but the tiles together can make a> beautiful piece of art. Along similar lines, Constantinople itself was a> trading center where many cultures intersected.> > ~m> > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_to_Byzantium> > _______________________________________________> design-team mailing list> design-team@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/design-team>