Re: F8 artwork

Hey all,

Nicu Buculei wrote:
Matthias Clasen wrote:
Some unsorted thoughts to start a discussion about artwork for F8:

- As most people will probably have noticed by now, Diana is longer with
Red Hat, and it looks unlikely that we will have a full-time artist that
can help with the artwork in time for F8.

Do you think is the case for us to start a 3 round process similar with the one proposed for F7? - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/FC7Themes
We can easily adapt it with dates following the F8 schedule.

I think it's a good idea. Why not involve schools for example? I know a very nice info-graphic school in Brussels, I'll drop them a mail, maybe they are interested to help.

- Personally, I'd like to explore a somewhat different style of artwork
for F8; something much less branded and image-based (maybe stripes :-)
-- if only because the F7 artwork is pretty much at the top of the
quality scale for this kind of heavily image-based, branded artwork (as
the initial F7 reviews show), and will be hard to top...

I agree about exploring a new style because I think we should bring something fresh in each release and because is fun to explore different styles.

- The desktop team has started to work on improving the graphical boot
(see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBetterStartup ). If
we can land this for F8, it will will mean quite a few changes to what
artwork is required for branding the boot (all for the better, less
images and less awkward restrictions on image formats). It is however,
blocking on kernel feature that we are currently not very confident to
have in the F8 timeframe.

We can focus on the overall style in the beginning and when the time comes to create the individual images (probably around F8T2 or even a little later) probably you will have a better idea about this blocker.

--
Marek Mahut                    Tel.: +420-532-294-111 (ex. 826-2046)
Fedora Ambassador                              GSM: +420-731-076-674