Re: New projekt? Echo cursor theme

Martin Sourada wrote:
Hi all,

with Ben Arnold's throbber animation it came to my mind, that fedora uses the
same cursors red hat used for years - bluecurve. I think, as we replacing the

IIRC, the current cursor theme is not that old as Bluecurve, but certainly is made some years ago.

old bluecurve icon theme with new one, we could do the same with the rest of the
artwork. So what about making an Echo cursor theme? It could use similar

I don't think anyone would oppose such a project. Start a cursor theme and if it will look better then probably it will be used.

guidelines to Echo icons' and could be (basically) derived from an arrow in
applications-internet icon [1]. What do you think?

Currently Bluecurve have two sets of icons: normal (black) and inverse (white). Probably it would be a good idea to keep using two sets (in fact there are 4 sets, the two are duplicate for left hand users, but this is just mirroring).

A cursor theme has a relatively small number of images, so the quantity is not the main problem, the main problem is optimizing the images for small size display.

And my two cents: usually the mouse cursor is shown over a light background, so I think a dark theme make sense as the default.

notes:
- for reference, here you can download the Bluecurve icon thmemes: https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/bluecurve/browser/bluecurve/cursors (use anonymous git, the web interface has a bug and will not allow downloads) - unfortunately, we don't have a vector version so you have to start from scratch or edit the raster version

--
nicu