Re: [FC7 theme proposal] Flying High with Fedora 7 - Round 2

On 23/12/06, Ben Arnold <iamseawolf@xxxxxxxxx>
<ben.arnold.inbox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 20/12/06, Leo <sdl.web@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Máirín Duffy (2006-12-20 12:58 -0500) said:
> [...]
> > How do OOo, Gimp, and Eclipse splash screens provide the best user
> > experience possible...? They don't. They provide a fuller 'brand
> > experience' for sure, but that's different from 'user experience'
> > (former benefits us more than it would users.)
> >
> > The best user experience possible is applications loading up so
> > quickly you don't need a splash screen to provide feedback that yes,
> > the application is loading.
>
> a splash screen will be in those apps for Fedora 7.

To offer my two pence, if the splashes are going to be included with
FC7 apps, the user already knows they are running FC7.

Our brand identity is done through our scheming and, IMHO, does not
need to be extended through to apps because the 'essentials'
themselves (such as OOo, GIMP, Inkscape, FF, etc.) can be obtained
from the Fedora repositories via yum et al. This ensures these apps
come from the Fedora Universe (if you see what I mean: no connection
to discussions going around elsewhere) and so are string-bound
together by Fedora's brand. If we were to, who's to say we shouldn't
create custom splases for every single application availible in Core
or Extras?

TBH, with the time we've left for extra work for both arts and packs
coupled with the efforts to improve already great subs, I don't see
the need to extend our efforts to custom splashes.

./Ben

--
       ..// seawolf //..
          Ben  Arnold