Re: Fedora logo guidelines problem

mola pahnadayan wrote:
problem come from guidelines to design and create art for fedora, if you
want to create background for fedora and want to add some effect to logo
in logo guidelines hasn't define any rule for doing this on fedora logo
like :

There is a definite tension between creative treatments of the logo and misuses of the logo that potentially damage the Fedora brand. But I think the usage guidelines are at least a good sane start, although I agree they do not allow for more creative treatments. The policy for the latter really is to send the example artwork to logo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to get it approved. This is not something you can easily write guidelines for; creative treatments I feel really need to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

You do understand why this is so important, right? We need the Fedora logo trademark to be defensible. If anybody is allowed to do whatever they want with it, then when someone really misuses the logo (tries to use it for another, unrelated project or manipulates it in a way degrading to the project) we'll have no grounds to defend ourselves if we'd allowed anyone to do whatever they wanted with the logo. You wouldn't want to see something like that happen, would you?

        1. can't move fedora logo in Z axis. only must use create image
        in 2D program , and can't not work in blender or other 3D
        program.

This is fine as long as it's tasteful. I think it would be a rather unwise decision to grant carte blanche 'you can do whatever you want with the logo in 3d' without some context! There are a lot of ways one could manipulate the logo in 3D that would look great and a great many more that would look horrible. This is a dangerous precedent to open up. Something like this should be subject to approval on a case-by-case basis.

        2. can't change fedora logo color in 2D ( Sample : can't not add
        light effect on fedora logo because the color of logo has been
        change )

We can't give folks carte blanche to change the colors of the logo to whatever they feel like. Once you change the colors, it's not the same logo. This is a very basic requirement of pretty much every brand I've ever worked with. I strongly disagree with changing this guideline.

        3. You can't show Fedora logo at natural stuff like metal,
        cloud, glass ,  ... ( like
        http://people.redhat.com/dfong/icFedora/060712/fSky1.jpg )

I can think of many far less appealing manipulations of the Fedora logo using 'natural' textures. Don't make me whip out the Gimp to create an example - your eyes will bleed :)

Idea :
     A. I think for solve this problem must add some rules to logo
        guidelines that if you use it too create background or some
        other things you must regard that your design logo show this is
        an alias of original fedora logo.

My suggestion would be to make it more clear within the guidelines that for more creative treatments of the logo, you must submit your work to logo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for approval before distributing it. I'm willing to add that if it would help.

     B. Remove guidlines from fedora logo that any one can use any type
        of it .

This is not possible, unfortunately, for the reasons stated above. Sorry.

~m