Re: Cataloguing & Converting Bluecurve Icons

Máirín Duffy wrote:
*Many* people have expressed interest in keeping Bluecurve alive. Whether or not it lives on as the default style for Fedora, it's still a large set of GPL artwork that is sadly quite poorly documented, so this is a plan to at least make a set of guidelines for making more icons in the set and making it easy to browse the entire catalog of icons and contribute to it.

Make sense.

The thing about Tango is, for it to really work, there needs to be adoption.
How so?

To create a visual style that 3rd-party app developers can design to fit in with (as they can on the Mac, and sort-of on Windows), there must be a relatively consistent general visual style across the major distros. Maybe that's a pipe-dream (or just bad idea)...

Is there really that much advantage to every Linux desktop's icons looking *exactly* the same? How about if we stuck to a common set of metaphors? This is something that I brought up in my discussion with Andreas that still has not been addressed for me:

No, they don't have to be exactly the same. However, pushing this that make sense to be in common upstream makes sense. Sharing things like stroke-style, perspective, etc. can make things easier for 3rd party apps developers to blend in with.

As for icon metaphors, that's a great idea. There was some talk of a common icon metaphor list on the Tango list. We've got a basic table of existing icon metaphors used in KDE and Gnome, and the suggested Tango metaphor. It is quite incomplete, but we'd love to have help/collaboration on it.

Steven Garrity