Re: Cataloguing & Converting Bluecurve Icons

Is it fair to assume, then, that the Bluecurve icon style will live on?

Bluecurve has been a great style, but is starting to look a bit date. Over at the Tango project, the isometric perspective has been avoided based on it's visual complexity and the difficultly in creating/maintaining icons in such a perspective.

I would propose one of two options:

1. Adoption of the Tango icon library. The icons look good, there is active and eager maintainer-ship, and apps are starting to use the style (Sound Juicer, F-Spot, Banshee, Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus etc. ).

2. Adoption of the Tango *style* guidelines, while still keeping a custom icon set for Fedora. This would have all of the advantages (especially consistency) while maintaining a distinctive style.

Andreas Nilsson brought up something like option #2 on the list a while back [1]. He included a screenshot mockup: http://ramnet.se/~nisse/blog/images/foxtrot.png

The thing about Tango is, for it to really work, there needs to be adoption.

Can we get a feel for how those at the helm of the art for Fedora? If there are things about the style that are keeping Fedora from adopting the Tango style - let us know. There is still plenty of room for improvement in the style and guidelines.

Cheers,
Steven Garrity

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives//2006-April/msg00034.html

Máirín Duffy wrote:
Hi Everybody,

So with Diana's help, I've put everything we've got as far as Bluecurve icons up on my website:

http://people.redhat.com/duffy/icons/

The only ones not included here are the ones I've created or modified which I've put up in the fedoraproject.org wiki:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/BluecurveLibrary

I think there is a real need to catalog these, in an Inkscape-compatible SVG format, and make it easy for anybody to

(1) grab the artwork they need
(2) contribute changes / tweaks / improvements
(3) contribute new icons

As I create new icons, I'll be putting them in the wiki, but... I don't think that is especially scaleable, considering the number of icons we have. Does anybody have any ideas as far as how we can catalog these images nicely? Are there any FOSS photo gallery apps that maybe have revision control built-in?

My first thought is to simply set up a svn or cvs repo with a nice web frontend for people to browse & grab the icons... but I'm afraid setting up svn/cvs and learning all that crap will be a big barrier to entry for new artists. Maybe there is a web frontend for a revision control system that lets you upload new revisions from your browser?

Any ideas greatly appreciated :)

~m