Re: ext3-fs error (bad entry in directory)

Markus Oehme wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> we have a bit of a strange problem with our ext3 partition here. We have a
> lot of the following errors occuring in dmesg:
>
> Dec 16 02:09:06 hestia kernel: [1594272.845672] EXT3-fs error (device dm-2): ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory #17083: rec_len % 4 != 0 - offset=0, inode=76, rec_len=5121, name_len=2

You didn't mention what kernel you were using; there was one significant fix
in this area a while back,

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ef2b02d3e617cb0400eedf2668f86215e1b0e6af

> Mount options are
>
> /dev/mapper/hestia-home on /srv/samba/homes type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,usrquota,grpquota)
>
> We already did a complete test to the hard drives and they seem to be
> fine. e2fsck also doesn't fix the problem. Currently we suspect the
> controller, but that's pure speculation and otherwise the machine is running
> quitely.

does e2fsck -find- the problem?  what version of e2fsprogs did you use?

If it checks clean then maybe it is a controller or memory error...

> Sometimes the corresponding partitions is automatically remounted read-only,
> which is quite a hazzle.
>
> The message is always exactly the same. Somebody have a clue as to what is
> going on here? And an easier question: How do I find out which directory is
> #17083?

you can use debugfs:

debugfs:  ncheck
ncheck: Usage: ncheck <inode number> ...
debugfs:  ncheck 6031
Inode	Pathname
6031	//testfilename

-Eric