Re: File system checking on ext3 after a system crash

3) Periodically, and at a non-peak time, use the e2image program to
save a backup copy of the filesystem metadata.  Do this *especially*
if you don't have space to do a real backup.  This will give you at
least some measure of a saving throw against a single bad disk write
(caused by malfunctioning storage hardware, or the aforementioned
buggy binary-only graphical driver written in C++ with the pointer
error) from destroying a huge numer of files.

Hi -
   I noted this response with interest.
   I was unaware of this tool.
I did a quick test and looks simple to use, are there any caveats or hidden gotchas ? I understand it will only restore to the state it was in when the image was taken,
   but in a pinch that maybe an alternative we could use.
   Any idea how long it takes to create/restore ?
   Would it make sense to run on a daily basis ?

Also, wondering if you could point me to documentation explaining how to
   respond to e2fsck questions when it finds problems in the file system.

Thanks
-Sev
Sev Binello
Brookhaven National Laboratory