Re: Checking root filesystem: Failed

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:29:35PM +0000, Ricardo Daniels wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using ext3 on Smoothwall Express 2 firewall,
> which I understand is based originally off Red Hat.
>
> The machine runs headless, without a monitor. On one
> ocassion booting stopped, hooking up a monitor
> revealed this,

This is a bug in the init scripts.  According to the fsck man page:

       The exit code returned by fsck is the sum of the following conditions:
            0    - No errors
            1    - File system errors corrected
            2    - System should be rebooted
            4    - File system errors left uncorrected
            8    - Operational error
            16   - Usage or syntax error
            32   - Fsck canceled by user request
            128  - Shared library error

In the case where the root filesystem has errors corrected, an exit
code of 3 is returned (filesystem errors corrected, system should be
rebooted).  The system needs to be rebooted because cached information
in the mounted root filesystem may have been incorrect and modified by
e2fsck.  Hence, it is not safe to remount the root filesystem
read/write after it has been modified.

Some init scripts do not interpret an exit return of 2 or 3 as "reboot
immediately", but instead stop and give the error:

> *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> *** when you leave the shell.
> Give root password for maintenance
> (or type Control-D for normal startup):
> -- console output end --

If you hit the big red button and reboot, it will be fine.

							- Ted