Checking root filesystem: Failed

Hi

I am using ext3 on Smoothwall Express 2 firewall,
which I understand is based originally off Red Hat.

The machine runs headless, without a monitor. On one
ocassion booting stopped, hooking up a monitor
revealed this,

-- console output --
/dev/harddisk4 has been mounted 29 times without being
checked, check forced.
/dev/harddisk4:
Optimizing directories: 47165 140835
/dev/harddisk4: ***** REBOOT LINUX *****
/dev/harddisk4: 12020/328608 files (0.2
non-contiguous), 46910/657216 blocks
Checking root filesystem: Failed
*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):
-- console output end --

How do I find out what error occured?

I don't know much about ext3, I use reiserfs on a
desktop machine. I have tried e2fsck and badblocks and
the disk does not have any badblocks on any parition.

Is it the disk playing up or ext3?

At the moment I switch Smoothwall off each night, is
it being switched off too much? I should stress I did
shutdown properly, the fsck check was because
"/dev/harddisk4 has been mounted 29 times without
being checked, check forced" not because it was
uncleanly umounted.

I am using a 3.2gb Maxtor drive, on a AX59pro mobo,
AMD K6-2 300mhz, 128mb ram, running Smoothwall 2.0
fixes 1.

-- Partitions --
df -h

/dev/harddisk4        2.5G  145M  2.2G   7% /
/dev/harddisk1        7.6M  3.4M  3.8M  47% /boot
/dev/harddisk3        636M   22M  581M   4% /var/log

cat /etc/fstab
/dev/harddisk1          /boot                   ext3
 defaults        1 2
/dev/harddisk2          swap                    swap
 defaults        0 0
/dev/harddisk3          /var/log                ext3
 defaults        1 2
/dev/harddisk4          /                       ext3
 defaults        1 1
none                    /proc                   proc
 defaults        0 0

Many thanks
Richie