another seriously corrupt ext3 -- pesky journal

Hi Ted and all,

I have a couple of questions near the end of this message, but first I have
to describe my problem in some detail.

The power failure on Thursday did something evil to my ext3 file system (box
running RH9+patches, ext3, /dev/md0, raid5 driver, 400GB f/s using 3x200GB
IDE drives and one hot-spare).  The f/s got corrupt badly and the symptoms
are very similar to what Eddy described here:

	https://www.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2003-July/msg00015.html

That is, nearly everything I try results in and error such as

	"Invalid argument while checking ext3 journal for /dev/md0"

Ted answered here:

	https://www.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2003-July/msg00035.html

and suggested the last ditch approach using mke2fs -S to reinitialize the
superblock and group descriptors.  After trying all sort of "safe" methods
to recover the files, I have tried the -S option as follows:

# mke2fs -j -b 4096 -S /dev/md0
mke2fs 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
49790976 inodes, 99570816 blocks
4978540 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
3039 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
16384 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
 32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208,
 4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872, 71663616, 78675968

Creating journal (8192 blocks): mke2fs: File exists
 while trying to create journal

Note that the above command ran too fast for me.  It felt as if it didn't
actually write any info to the f/s.  Indeed, I next ran this command:

# e2fsck -b 98304 -B 4096 /dev/md0
e2fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
e2fsck: Invalid argument while checking ext3 journal for /dev/md0

And once again got this error wrt the journal.  Note that before I even
tried this -S procedure, I tried to simply turn off the has_journal bit
using tune2fs: didn't help.  (I'm willing to lose the info in the journal,
as long as I can get the rest of my large f/s.)  But tune2fs and friends
gave me a chicken-and-egg error about the invalid arg wrt the journal, while
trying to turn it off (duhh).

At this point I've begun to suspect that there's something awfully wrong
with the journal inode, and maybe, just maybe, my superblocks and group
descriptors might be intact.  Next, I tried to reinitialize the superblocks
and group descriptors WITHOUT a journal (tell mke2fs to make a plain ext2
f/s):

# mke2fs -b 4096 -S /dev/md0
mke2fs 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
49790976 inodes, 99570816 blocks
4978540 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
3039 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
16384 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
 32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208,
 4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872, 71663616, 78675968

Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 34 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

Bingo.  This time I got no error, and the command took a couple of seconds
longer, indicating to me that it actually did write something to the disk
(or maybe it wrote more than when I tried "-S -j").

Now I was able to start "e2fsck -b 71663616 -B 4096 /dev/md0".  It's been
running for a couple of hours already.  Of course, it's discovering all
sorts of wonderful new events and spewing messages I've never even seen
before. 1/2 a :-)

Anyway, my hypothesis now is that the f/s in question may have just had a
really really bad journal inode on it that was preventing anything else from
happening, and that perhaps I shouldn't have tried "mke2fs -S" above had I
been able to just nuke the pesky journal (it might have prevented further
corruption that fsck is now "fixing").

The good news is that prior to experimentation, I have made a dd backup of
/dev/md0 (400GB) onto a file on another file server (1.5T), so I can dd it
back onto my real /dev/md0 if need be.  Alternatively, I can make a second
copy of that backup file, use losetup on the second copy, and then
experiment.

Questions:

1. Is there any reason why I couldn't experiment with e2fsprogs binaries on
   a f/s dd image mounted over /dev/loopN?  I.e., will it behave the same as
   a disk device as far as e2fsprogs are concerned?

2. If my assertion is correct that most of my f/s is intact but the journal
   is FUBAR, I need to find a way to force fsck to ignore the journal no
   matter what.  Is there such a tool or option to some tool?  Is there a
   way I could simply scan the disk and truncate the journal file, or turn
   off the has_journal bit w/o touching the rest of the f/s?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Erez.