Re: sharing an ext3-partition with windows?

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 07:12:44PM +0200, Helge Hielscher wrote:

> is anyone successfully sharing a ext3 partition between windows and linux?
> Which software do you use under (which) windows? Was it easy to setup?

There are some folks who have ported the libext2fs library and linked
it together with the Microsoft Filesystem SDK to produce a ext2 driver
for various versions of Win32.  (I remember on for Windows 98 and one
for Windows 2000).  They generally don't tend to be kept up to date
very well, since they require access to propietary software to
development.  Technically that makes them a violation of the GPL, but
I generally don't bother with following up after the GPL violation,
figuring that being forced to use Windows is generally punishment
enough.

If someone were to actually ask me, I'd probably give permission to
use libext2fs with a Windows filesystem SDK, as long as the resulting
driver was given away free of charge.  Of course, I can only speak for
that portion of libext2fs which is mine (probably around 95-97%).

						- Ted