Seriously corrupt ext3 root filesystem - help?

I just came back after being out for the evening. Apparently there was
a power failure long enough to discharge the UPS completely on my Linux
box.

After powering back up, I received notice that the / filesystem needed
"manual fsck"ing.

I booted off CD and attempted to fsck. Unfortunately, everything I've
tried has proved futile and I'm _desperate_ for some help. I've google'd
for just about everything I can think of and am out of ideas.

# fsck.ext3 /dev/hda1
e2fsck 1.28 (31-Aug-2002)
Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while checking ext3 journal for /dev/hda1

# debugfs -w /dev/hda1
debugfs 1.28 (31-Aug-2002)
/dev/hda1: Can't read an inode bitmap while reading inode bitmap
debugfs: open -c /dev/hda1
/dev/hda1: catastrophic mode - not reading inode or group bitmaps
debugfs: stat <8>
stat: Invalid argument while reading inode 8
debugfs: stats
Filesystem features:    has_journal filetype sparse_super
Filesystem state:       clean with errors
Directories:            1122431
 Group  0: block bitmap at 33188, inode bitmap at 19132, inode table at
 1027802808
           6794 free blocks, 15870 free inodes, 1720 used directories
 Group  1: block bitmap at 0, inode bitmap at 0, inode table at 3016944
           2289 free blocks, 46 free inodes, 2290 used directories

# tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda1
tune2fs 1.28 (31-Aug-2002)
tune2fs: Invalid argument while reading journal inode

# e2image -r /dev/hda1 -
e2image 1.28 (31-Aug-2002)
Illegal block number passed to ext2fs_mark_block_bitmap #1027802808 for
in-use block map
Illegal block number passed to ext2fs_mark_block_bitmap #1027802809 for
in-use block map
Illegal block number passed to ext2fs_mark_block_bitmap #1027802810 for
in-use block map

Obviously the data on this filesystem is very important, and contains a
lot of
stuff that has not been backed up (I know, I know. Lesson learned.) Is
there
any hope of recovering the files on this filesystem?

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different?