Re: fsck fails (then succeeds)

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 04:04:33PM +0100, Geoff wrote:

> Many thanks for all your help Ted.  I thought that the
> kern.log probably just showed e2fsck doing its work.  I will
> make my own mods to checkfs (the point of LFS being to
> learn), and will experiment with Logsave.

No, what kern.log shows is the ext3 filesystem running the ext3
journal on the root filesystem.  Ext3 will replay the journal entries
when an ext3 filesystem is mounted.  So will e2fsck, but since the
root filesystem is mounted at boot time before the /etc/rc scripts can
be run, the root filesystem has its journal recovery done by the
kernel instead of by the userspace program.

						- Ted