Re: boot: ext3 fs not supported by kernel

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 11:27:26AM +0200, Juri Haberland wrote:
> Peter Davies wrote:
> > I am running 2.4.18-3.
>
> What kind of kernel is this? One from RedHat?
>
> > I am getting terrible performance. I noticed in the boot.log that my /
> > fs is ext3 and my kernel does not support ext3. I have tried to
>
> If this is a RedHat kernel and you didn't recompile it, than it definitly
> has ext3 support. What makes you believe that it doesn't have ext3 support?

For some silly reason ext3 is a module in many (all?) Red Hat kernels.

Try running mkinitrd, and that might just solve the problem for you by
including the ext3 module in the initial ramdisk.

By the way, this issue is addressed on the following ext3 FAQ.  So
this might be a good time to plug Juri Haberland's good work, which
can be found here:

	http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html

						- Ted