Re: how to use LVM snapshot with ext3 - VFS lock patch applicability

>This is exactly why you need the VFS lock patch - to give ext3 the chance
>to flush the journal before the snapshot is done.

Ok.

>There shouldn't be any effect on the application except for a very small
>pause in writes to the disk as the journal is locked and flushed for
>the snapshot to be taken.  After the snapshot is done the application
>can continue to write to the filesystem without ever being aware that
>anything happened.

OK let's assume there is few delay for snasphot creation (only some
LVM metadata to be updated).

>As for performance effects, that depends on how long you have your
>snapshot active, how much you write into the filesystem, and whether the
>snapshot is on the same or a different disk/controller.  With any LVM
>snapshot, you need to copy the data from the original disk to the snapshot
>volume before you write new data there.  If your original filesystem has
>a lot of writes, then you will now have 2x that many writes (1 going to
>the snapshot).  Once data has been copied to the snapshot, however, it
>does not need to be copied again so you only need to copy the original
>superblock, inode tables, etc to the snapshot once.

2x many writes: i'm not aware of how LVM performs its copy on write
mechanism:
what's the data unit used for replication from the original LV to the
snapshot,
when a page / block is modified on the original LV ?

Eric

Andreas Dilger <adilger@clusterfs.com> on 06/07/2003 10:00:39 PM