performance issue with overwritten files

Hi Guys,

I have experienced a recent performance issue with an ext2 filesystem.

Essentially I have had several files that get overwritten on average
once per day.

This has been happening for about a hear when the program accessing and
reading those files started from several milliseconds to 15-20 seconds
to open and read the file.

Moving the directory to a new name and copying the contents solved the
issue.

What could cause such a slowdown to occur?