how to use LVM snapshot with ext3 - VFS lock patch applicability

Hi,

I have an ext3 file system on top of LVM and i use journaled mode.
I would like to make a snapshot of my filesystem while the application is
running in order to backup
on another physical storage.
For that i have to create an LVM snapshot and then to mount it in read-only
for copying the content.
This is not possible as far as ext3 needs to do a log replay at mount time
( AFAIK).

I would like to know how do that : when is the VFS lock patch needed ? what
does it change in the VFS behavior ?
and what is the effect on my application
( on the journal usage and the performances for instance) ?

The next question will be to know whether an ext3 snapshot feature is
planed or if i need to use EVMS rather than LVM.

Eric