Re: Hard Disk Failure

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Sean Neakums wrote:

> Not generally a good idea with IDE drives.  They remap bad sectors
> automatically, so when they report bad sectors to the host, it means
> that the drive has run out of spare sectors and is typically a sign
> that the drive is going to fail catastrophically soon.  Backup and
> replace is the only sensible thing to do.

I have never seen a clear explanation of what they do, but I certainly
hope it is not what you say.  If it is, we are silently losing data
all the time.  I suspect the disk will move sectors when it finds
ones that are "going" bad, but can still be read.  If it finds a sector
is can no longer read at all, it should report an error to the OS which
should result in the messages the user got (I would think).  And therefore
it doesn't necessarily mean it is out of the spare sectors.