Re: 2.4.20 & htree

On Apr 07, 2003  17:21 +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:
> >> If I am right, where is the best place to get a consolidated ext3
> >> patch which is suitable for a production environment?
> >
> > I believe Ted has up-to-date patches for htree:
> >
> >    http://thunk.org/tytso/linux/extfs-2.4-update/broken-out-2.4.21pre5-2
>
> Are these production ready? (i.e. not "development only this may well
> kill your file-system"). I'm happy to run code people on this box people
> think works fine, and report back bugs if it doesn't (that's life), but it
> isn't the right place for testing code of unknown reliability.
>
> Also, should one only apply the htree stuff, or the whole lot?

Well... the last I heard the last known bugs in the htree code were fixed,
but I'm not 100% positive on that.  The good news is that we (Lustre)
are on the verge of starting to use the new patches ourselves, and we
run regression tests all the time, and need to test huge filesystems (10M
files in one directory), so we'll likely hit any bugs sooner or later.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger