mount error 22 mounting ext3

I recently installed RedHat 8.0 on my computer but i discovered that i also needed to install windows for several programs that I still needed. I have two HDs, the RedHat install is on an 80Gb drive and the windows install is on an 8gb hard drive (which is the slave). I attempted to install windows on the slave but that is a no go so I powered down the computer and unhooked the ide cables making the 8gb hard drive the master and leaving the other drive without power and without an ide hookup.

The windows install went as poorly as all the other windows installs I have ever done, but it was done in the end and I hooked up both drives in their previous configuration (80 Gb master, 8 Gb slave), but this time RedHat will not boot. All the hardware is properly detected but when it comes to mounting the root filesystem it fails completely. Now, in the original error, it complained about a bad superblock which I fixed with mkfs.ext3 -S. The next error was that the journal was not present which tune2fs -c seems to have fixed, because the error now reads:

VFS: can't find ext3 filesystem on dev ide0(3,1).
mount: error 22 mounting ext3

The kicker of all of this is that fdisk sees the partition just fine and reports that it is an ext3 filesystem with all the proper attributes, neither a boot floppy, nor the RedHat install disc can see the partition though. I have pretty important data on the drive so I don't want to just reformat and start over before I have exhausted all of my options. But at the moment I have no way of booting or seeing the main drive at all, I can only get into the linux rescue shell from the RedHat install and mounting the drive in the shell simply causes the shell to no longer recognize where its binaries are, so it has some effect, just nothing desirable.

I really have two questions here. The obvious one is, how can I recover from this, if at all?

The other is just as important to me: Why did this happen? The linux drive wasn't hooked up and it wasnt modified in anyway by the windows install (I installed 98 by the way) but somehow it no longer functioned afterward. Even if I can't recover my data, answering this question would make my day a lot better.

Erin