Re: ext3 performance issue with a Berkeley db application

On 20030203 (Mon) at 1435:01 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > If it's acceptable for you to build the current bogofilter package
> > http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/
>
> How does a complete autoconf/automake ignoramus build this, after having done
> a CVS checkout?

cd /root_of_tree
./autogen.sh --arguments-to-configure
(such as --prefix=/usr or whatever; you don't really need args for this
test)

> > then Greg could provide you with a
> > Perl script to create a proper input.
>
> Yes please.

That was a bit optimistic.  The script Matthias was thinking of is a
shuffle filter; takes stdin and outputs the lines in random order.  I
can't give you a script that creates the input you need to reproduce
the problem.  However, if you can download a 4Mb file from
  http://www.bgl.nu/bogofilter/randlist.txt.bz2
and uncompress it, then you can do
  mkdir scratch
  ./bogoutil -l scratch/newdb <randlist.txt
and that will take ca half an hour on ext3/ordered but around 4 minutes
on ext2; a bit longer than 4 minutes on ext3/writeback.  Fast drives
might shrink those times in proportion.

Cheers...
--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key:      |
|   http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   finger greg@bgl.nu |