Re: Ext3 strangeness data loss

Hi,

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 20:05, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> Every time I've heard of anything like this, it's turned out to be a
> hardware problem.

There has also been a lot of churn in the IDE layers recently.  Linux
has learnt how to drive faster UDMA mode for more and more chipsets in
recent 2.4 kernels, but the downside is that where older kernels were
falling back to slower and safer modes, you may be able with later
kernels to push borderline hardware into the danger zone.  I've had
several corruption reports which we have definitely narrowed down to
that.

--Stephen