Re: Ext3 strangeness data loss

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 07:50:50AM -0000, Bodrogi Viktor wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm in really big trouble with ext3.
> At about every second reboot I have files changed on my ext3 filesystem!
> In most cases I realize that sshd didn't start, and after examination
> I found that /usr/sbin/sshd or /lib/libutil-x.y.so changed.
> But when I reboot, everything seems OK.
> I looked once into the binary, and find parts of syslog in it!!!

This sounds like a hardware problem.  It's likely that incorrect
blocks are getting read into the page cache.  So when you look at the
file, you see incorrect data.  When you reboot, that clears the page
cache, and file then looks OK again.

> It seems this happens during reboot only, and a second reboot mostly fixes
> it, at least with /usr/sbin/sshd, but not always. But even without sshd it's
> too bad to have a remote server!

If the problem is be related to be whether your system is warm booted
versus cold booted, that might explain why the second reboot fixes
things for you.

> Had anyone of you this happening?

Every time I've heard of anything like this, it's turned out to be a
hardware problem.

Good luck!!

						- Ted