Re: e2fsck too old / ext3 HTREE errors

On Jan 24, 2003  11:25 +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 23:31, Christian wrote:
> > ok, since i'll stick to 2.4.18 i want to disable HTREE indexes. but
> > please, can you/sb. enlighten me and tell me how to do this. the
> > manpages for mkfs.ext3 says nothin about htree :-(
>
> Htree is designed to be fully forwards- and backwards-compatible, so in
> theory moving between htree- and non-htree kernels should never be a
> problem.  And since the main 2.4 kernel tree simply does not have any
> htree code, you shouldn't have any problems at all, even if the
> filesystem was created with a flag saying that it is htree-capable.

Stephen, you missed the initial reason for the posting, which was that
the e2fsck htree indexing code had a bug in the (old WIP) e2fsck version
that Christian was using, so e2fsck would get an htree error on each boot.
I seem to recall that it would actually drop directory entries or similar.
If htree is disabled in the superblock, e2fsck will not try to reindex.

Also, given that 2.5 _does_ have htree code, and that code currently (AFAIK)
still has one or more bugs in it then it is probably safest not to use it
yet (although of course testing & bug reports are welcome if you have
backups of your data and it is not a critical system).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger