Re: e2fsck too old / ext3 HTREE errors

Andreas Dilger schrieb:
Get a newer version of e2fsck (I think 1.32 is available).  The 1.30-WIP
version had a bug in it when regenerating htree indexes.  Also, I'd suggest
disabling htree entirely for now, since (a) your kernel doesn't support it
yet, and (b) there are still some bugs in kernels that _do_ support it.
ok, since i'll stick to 2.4.18 i want to disable HTREE indexes. but please, can you/sb. enlighten me and tell me how to do this. the manpages for mkfs.ext3 says nothin about htree :-(

and then, after clicking around on e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net, i saw this in the release notes for 1.30:

[...]
Fixed endian problems in the htree code for e2fsck and debugfs.
When byte-swapping a filesystem on a PPC architecture, byte-swap the bitmaps since the historical big-endian ext2 variant had byte-swapped bitmaps, and the ext2fs library assumes this. This fixes the regression test suite on PPC machines.
[...]

holy crap! i have created my fs with 1.30-WIP on a i386, now this fs is used under ppc, with the said 1.27/1.30-WIP available. are these bad news for me?

Sadly, htree is enabled by default with newer e2fsprogs (even 1.32 I think)
so it is kind of a pain.
oh, but why...i mean: some people are really using this wonderful fs, but i guess not every sysadmin is aware of tricky features of all tools.
hm, can't you just make something like --with-htree?

Thank you very much for your really fast response. this mailing list is a cool feature of the filesystem :-)

Regards,
Christian.

Cheers, Andreas
--