Re: ext3 corruption with vanilla kernel 2.4.19?

Norman Schmidt <norman.schmidt@ratnet.stw.uni-erlangen.de> writes:

> Per Andreas Buer schrieb:
>
> > I've been having file system corruption on a system with two Maxtor
> > 120GB drives (Maxtor 4G120J6). Alan Cox suggested errors in the PDC20262
> > (Promise ATA66 controller) - but your posting here suggests that there
> > is something fishy with the Maxtor drives and kernels > 2.4.18 (on my
> > system, 2.4.18 runs fine - everything else eats my data).
> > When your neverending fsck ends, try 2.4.18. You might want to report
> > this on lkml.
>
> The ext3 developper strongly suggests three ext3-patches for 2.4.20
> kernels: http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/ext3/index.html

The patches were of course applied. The corruption only occurs on the
Maxtor drives - the other 3 disks (also IDE) where completely
unaffected. The last week there have been several reports of corruption
with 2.4.20 and large IDE drives.

> I have a server with a 160 GB partition on software RAID 5 over 4 80GB
> Maxtor drives on 2 Promise Ultra133 TX2 controllers. Filesystem is ext3
> with an external journal (on RAID1 over part of 2 20 GB drives (IBM and
> Maxtor) on the mainboard controller). I use a non-modular 2.4.20 kernel
> with only the aforementioned patches applied.
>
> Intensive testing with bonnie and tiobench for 24h showed no errors,
> although the server doesn´t have a very high load (used mainly as
> samba-mounted partition for a W2k computer as digital videorecorder)
> during normal operation.

This does not help me much. :(

--
Per Andreas Buer