Re: Harddisk gone bad (longish)

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 09:14:21AM +0100, Francesco Peeters wrote:
> OK, got the new drive (will be getting a RAID card and another drive too to
> do RAID1 for data security!) and did the image xfer (dd etc)
>
> Then ran e2salvage on it (kewl program!!!)
> Then ran e2fsck again to restore the superblocks... The superblock that
> saved me was the 10TH!!!!
>
> It is now copying old data to the new disc, after that we'll have to
> investigate whether and how much data is still valid...
>
> Thx for the advice ya'll tho! I wouldn't have made it without the hints,
> tips and pointers!

Remember RAID =! to backups. You should also invest in an actual backup
solution, such as a removeable hard drive or, even better, tape. RAID can
protect you from disk failure, but not from the accidental "rm -fr /".

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@attglobal.net)
-- http://lizw090-016.resnet.wisc.edu/~skylar/, http://www.earlham.edu/~thompsk/